CroppinTrainRetreats@gmail.com
479-531-8518 (between the hours of 9am and 8pm Central
)
Croppin' Train; c/o Dora Poage; PO Box 982; Bentonville, AR 72712-0982


Imagine a weekend devoted exclusively to you and your favorite hobby... SCRAPBOOKING!


Calendar

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cricut - Glitter Cardstock

For the Spring Croppin' Train Scrapbook Retreat, we created a "JOY" banner using a beautiful red glittered cardstock from Hobby Lobby. Here's a couple hints about using glittered cardstock in your Cricut:

1. Buy it on sale! At almost $2.00 per sheet, you'll definitely want to use either a 40% off coupon or wait 'till it's on sale for 50% off.

2. The glitter doesn't allow the Cricut blade to cut through the cardstock. The blade hits all that thick, crunch glitter, and isn't able to cut - sometimes it will just stick, and sometimes it will 'jump' and skip cutting lines. You'll need to turn your glitter cardstock over, so that your cutting blade is touching the reverse side of the cardstock, where there's no glitter.

3. Now the problem is that the glitter won't stick to the Cricut mat. You really need to tape this cardstock down. I was cutting an entire sheet of letters, so I taped down all 4 sides - I did not want that paper to move! I had a brand new mat, but I still used masking tape on all 4 sides.

4. The last clue here is - if you're cutting letters, don't forget to reverse your letters before you cut them. Unfortunately, yes, I do speak from personal experience - that's one sheet of glitter cardstock in the trash (at least I bought it on sale!).

This first picture shows the really pretty, thickly coated, red glitter cardstock that we used for this project.

The second picture shows a completely cut piece of cardstock, where you can see that the letters were cut in the reverse, and all 4 sides are taped. The tape, of course, took a few extra minutes to get off of my mat, but I'd rather spend a couple extra minutes peeling tape than re-cutting and wasting cardstock because it moved. I used my Gypsy, so I was able to get a couple extra letters on the mat.

Finally, you'll see a picture of the completed JOY banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment