CroppinTrainRetreats@gmail.com
479-531-8518 (between the hours of 9am and 8pm Central
)
Croppin' Train; c/o Dora Poage; PO Box 982; Bentonville, AR 72712-0982


Imagine a weekend devoted exclusively to you and your favorite hobby... SCRAPBOOKING!


Calendar

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Getting to know Melissa

How long have you been scrapping?

I have been scrapbooking for about 5 years now. When I was little I would put pictures into books and call it scrapbooking, but I didn’t actually start to scrap until 5 to 6 years ago.

How did you start scrapbooking?

I started scrapbooking when I joined Stampin' UP! as a demonstrator. That is where I met Dora and Pat. Dora and I attended a Stampin' UP convention in Orlando FL and have been playing with paper together ever since. I met Pat at a meeting we had for Stamp Camp that we would put on twice a year. It was through them that I learned the art of scrapbooking. However, I was not that confident and therefore did not get into it seriously until my buddies started scheduling play dates for us to get together and scrapbook. Now I cannot find enough time to do it.

What is your favorite scrapbooking line?

I like so many it is hard to narrow it down to only one. I like Stampin' UP!, K and Company, and Close to My Heart.

What are your favorite subjects to scrapbook?

I really don’t have a favorite thing to scrapbook, as what I like to scrapbook is very dependent on my mood at the time. Sometimes I have an event that I just can’t wait to scrapbook. Or sometimes it is a part of my life, part of what makes me, well me. One of my pages that is in progress that I am very excited about working on is my Chick-Fil-A page. Most people will tell you that my favorite drink is CFA tea, and I study at CFA almost every day when I am in school. So it is a huge part of my life. I am excited to do these pages, because it is what I am in the mood for today.

What do you watch/listen to when you're creating?

Not really anything. I get in a zone when I start concentrating on what I am doing, so I usually don’t pay much attention to anything else. This can be a problem when I am scrapbooking with friends J.

What do you snack on while scrapping?

I usually don’t snack while scrapbooking as I am trying to lose weight. Not to mention that I get so involved in what I am doing, I don’t think about food. However, if my friends offer me some goodie to snack on, then I will have no trouble trying it. But I ALWAYS have an un-sweet tea handy!

Any paper crafting pet peeves?

The only thing I can think of is when someone thinks that everything has to be done a certain way or it is incorrect. I feel that everyone has their own style and preference; therefore there is no wrong way or right way to scrapbook, only individuality.

What do you love about scrapbooking?

I love reminiscing about the past, watching my family grow, and the friendships that I enjoy and develop through scrapbooking. Scrapbookers are a great group of people!

What is your favorite color combination to use on your projects?

I seem to steer towards neutral colors, and earth tones. However, if you were to ask me what my favorite is, I would have to say that I don’t have one. It all depends on the layout I am working on. I love fun bright colors for the kids, fall colors for our hunting trips, soft pale colors for baby photos. It changes according to what I am working on, and what colors the photos bring out.

Do you distress everything, not at all or somewhere in between?

I am absolutely an in between. Sometimes I distress, sometimes I ink, and others…..nothing. Just depends again on what I am working on, the photos, and what mood I am in.

What is your favorite tool?

The one tool I cannot live without is my Carl Cutter. I do many layout kits, and projects that require a lot of cutting. If I didn’t have my Carl Cutter, I would spend most of my time preparing to play, instead of actually playing.

What is your favorite item?

My favorite item at the moment is Glimmer Mist and the Glimmer Mist stencils. I am always looking for a reason to use it on my layouts.

When creating a project, do you plan it out or go with the flow?

My layouts reflect my current mood. Therefore I am a go with the flow person. I like to look at pictures, think about how they make me feel and how they flow, then just go with it.

What type of adhesive do you use?

Duck, Duck, and More Duck! I use glue dots, x, Xyron, dimensionals as well as others, but I could not even work on a page without my Duck.

What is your favorite kind of cardstock?

For solid cs, I think that you just can’t beat Stampin UP! But for patterned paper, it is all about the patterns, instead of name brand.

Do you enjoy stepping out of your zone when creating new projects?

One of my favorite things to do is to take the materials I must use on a layout, and then deciding how to use them. I love making layout kits for this reason. It is like a challenge. I know what I need to use, but how. That is the fun part. So yes, I like stepping out of my zone. Often I have to use materials that I would not necessarily pick, but that is what makes it fun.

When is the best time for you to scrap?

Well I would say anytime, but that would be a lie. I think that anytime will work, but then sometimes I sit down to work on a project, and then the entire family plus all of their friends, and their friends friends all need something ASAP. So I guess the best time is when I set up a play date with my buddies and we get away from the house, the family, and all distractions so that we can concentrate on only scrapbooking. Like retreats!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are so awesome....it inspires me to do even more and to quit making excuses....

    ReplyDelete